Job Opportunities at AALDEF
Development Operations Assistant
The Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF), founded in 1974, is a New York-based national organization that protects and promotes the civil rights of Asian Americans through litigation, legal advocacy, and community education. Located in New York City, AALDEF has a 24-person staff and is supported by foundation and corporate grants, individual contributions, and special events. For more information about AALDEF and its current activities, please visit our website at www.aaldef.org.
The Development Operations Assistant reports to the Development Director and has the following responsibilities:
- Maintain the donor database of contribution records, emails on our contact list, and volunteers through data entry and data cleanup;
- Process check and online contributions and prepare acknowledgment letters;
- Provide segmented lists (DonorPerfect reports) and data of various types to staff as needed;
- Manage recurring gifts recording and credit card transactions;
- Identify and keep track of matching gifts, pledge management, and workplace giving gifts;
- Create and maintain relevant procedure documents;
- Coordinate with finance department on monthly reconciliations of revenue;
- Assist in preparing and organizing mailings, donor cultivation events, and other assigned tasks.
- Research donor prospects
- A minimum of the equivalent of one to two years of relevant work experience in development.
- Substantial and ample experience with DonorPerfect (preferred) or experience working with a development-focused database/CRM system.
- Basic analysis skillset in creating and analyzing reports, trends, etc.
- Prior database experience in running queries, creating reports, and handling mail merges.
- Exceptional, resourceful and versatile research skills.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Candidate must be detailed oriented, self-motivated, skilled in coordinating multiple tasks, and managing duties in a timely manner.
- Discretion and sensitivity in handling and safeguarding confidential information.
Starting Date: March 2024.
Compensation: This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. The salary range is $50,000 - $60,000. Excellent health and vacation benefits.
Location: Hybrid (2 days in NYC office)
How to Apply: Deadline to apply Monday, January 8, 2024.
Email cover letter (including any salary requirements), resume, and three references to email@example.com and insert “Development Operations Assistant” in the subject line. Cover letters may be addressed to: Yasmin Khan, Development Director.
AALDEF 2024 SUMMER LEGAL INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
The Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF), founded in 1974, is a New York-based national organization that protects and promotes the civil rights of Asian Americans through litigation, legal advocacy, and community education. For more information about AALDEF and the community lawyering model we use for social change, please visit our website at www.aaldef.org.
AALDEF program areas include:
- Anti-Asian Violence – Addresses current rise in violence against Asian Americans by connecting lessons learned from post-9/11 increased surveillance and law enforcement policies. Counters racial profiling and criminal legal policies creating prison to deportation pipeline.
- Economic Justice – Advances the rights of workers in low-wage industries, including home health care, massage work, sex work, nail salons, and restaurants.
- Educational Equity – Supports race-conscious admission policies in higher education and fair and equitable education policies for communities of color and English Language Learners in K-12.
- Housing & Environmental Justice – Fights displacement in low-income Asian immigrant communities through zoning and land use policy and litigation.
- Immigrant Justice – Counters impact of post-9/11 immigration and law enforcement policies, deportations in the Southeast Asian community, and unconstitutional ICE apprehensions/detentions. Supports deferred action policies for undocumented youth and addresses humanitarian visa issues.
- Voting Rights/Democracy – Challenges voter suppression measures, discriminatory redistricting, denials of language access, and other voting rights and equal protection issues through litigation under the Voting Rights Act and state law. Conducts election protection through exit polling and poll monitoring during primary and general elections.
Summer Internship Program Description: The summer program is ten weeks, from May 28 through August 2, 2024. Interns will work on a full-time schedule with a hybrid in-office/remote work policy. Interns, supervised by attorneys in various program areas, will receive training and education on legal skills in civil rights issues. Interns may work on litigation, legal and policy advocacy, legal services, legal research and writing, community outreach and education, and/or client intakes. Each program area differs in emphasis. Interns attend weekly brown bag series on a range of public interest legal topics along with interns from other legal defense funds and civil rights groups. The position is unpaid, but many interns have successfully secured independent funding. Academic credit can be arranged.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample as a single PDF document. Please indicate in your cover letter the preferred program area(s). Only law students qualify for AALDEF’s legal internships. Applications may be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org with Subject Line: Summer Legal Internship Search.
Any bilingual ability should be stated in the application. Bangla, Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese), Gujarati, Hindi, Khmer, Korean, Urdu, and Vietnamese-speaking skills are a plus, but not required.
Students are encouraged to submit applications as early as possible. 2L applications only will be reviewed on a rolling basis before the Monday, October 23, 2023 deadline. After this point, both 1L and 2L applications will be reviewed before December 4, 2023.Only applicants with interviews will be notified of their advancement in the application process.
For more information, contact: email@example.com.
AALDEF is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.