The Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF), founded in 1974, is a New York-based national organization that protects and promotes the civil rights of Asian Americans through litigation, advocacy, and community education. AALDEF is supported by foundation and corporate grants, For more information about AALDEF and its activities, visit our website at http://www.aaldef.org.
The Development Director is responsible for organizing and implementing all fundraising activities to ensure the sustainability and future expansion of the organization. The Development Director reports to the Executive Director and Assistant Director.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Work with the executive director to design and implement an annual fundraising plan, in coordination with the board of directors
• Manage foundation relationships and grant submissions; maintain a calendar of grant proposal and report deadlines; prepare letters of intent and proposals with requisite documents; maintain ongoing correspondence with funders.
• Create and implement mail and online solicitations and plan year-end giving strategy; analyze current donor base and identify new individual prospects.
• Create and implement a cultivation program targeting law firms, corporations and businesses.
• Identify and implement strategies for new major gift prospects; provide background materials for board member solicitations; and write regular reports for the executive director and board of directors
• Supervise development assistant to maintain donor database, process gifts, acknowledge donors, and generate regular reports.
• Performs other tasks as assigned.
• Excellent writing and communications skills.
• Minimum five years’ experience in fundraising and projects management.
• Prior CRM database management experience preferred.
• Strong organizational skills, attention to details, and ability to work independently.
• Proven track record of working in a collaborative environment with demonstrated success in raising funds from individual donors, foundations, corporations, and law firms.
• Creative, strategic, and entrepreneurial.
• Familiar with Asian American communities and legal/civil rights issues.
Commensurate with experience; excellent health and vacation benefits package.
As soon as possible.
Please send a cover letter (including any salary requirements), resume, names of three references, and two unedited writing samples to:
Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund
99 Hudson Street-12/F
New York, NY 10013-2815
(for email, insert “Development Director” in subject line)
AALDEF is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.