Feb. 12 Teleconference Briefing: The Voting Rights Act Under Attack
Civil Rights Advocates Discuss Why African Americans, Latinos, and Asian Americans Must Defend Their Right to Vote Before the Supreme Court
The right to vote is a fundamental American value that must be protected. For generations, the Voting Rights Act (VRA) has provided protections to ensure that every eligible citizen, regardless of race, has an equal opportunity to participate and have a voice in our great democracy. On Tuesday, February 12, 2013 at 2:00pm Eastern time, New American Media will host a telephonic press conference for ethnic media reporters, editors, and producers around Shelby Co. v. Holder, a seminal voting rights case that will go before the U.S. Supreme Court on February 27.
A panel of civil rights advocates and experts from the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, the Mexican American Legal Defense Fund (MALDEF), the Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF), and the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University School of Law will answer questions and address the following issues:
- Does voter discrimination still exist?
- How does Section 5 of the VRA protect against continuing threats to the right to vote?
- What do we stand to lose if the Supreme Court does not uphold Section 5 of the VRA?
- What are real examples of African American, Latino, and Asian American voters who have required Section 5 to exercise their right to vote?
When: February 12, 2013 at 2pm EST
- Glenn D. Magpantay, Democracy Program Director, Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund
- Dale Ho, Assistant Counsel of the Political Participation Group, NAACP LDF
- Nina Perales, Vice President of Litigation, Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund
- Myrna Perez, Senior Counsel, Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law
RSVP: Jay Rooney, email@example.com, 415-503-4170 ext: 117
In order to fully participate, ask questions of the panelists and receive a recording afterward, you must RSVP.
Call in Information: 650-429-3300 Access Code: 926-226-357