Apply for the RAISE Changemaker Fellowship-Summer 2015
Founded in 2012, Revolutionizing Asian American Immigrant Stories on the East Coast (RAISE) is a pan-Asian undocumented youth-led group dedicated to creating safe spaces for undocumented immigrants and communities to fight for social justice through activism and organizing. RAISE is looking to hire one Changemaker Fellow from June to August 2015. The Fellow will receive a total stipend of $1,500, to be disbursed in three (3) equal payments of $500 per month.
We are looking for someone who is curious and wants to learn more about organizing undocumented pan-Asian communities. The Changemaker Fellowship is intended specifically for individuals who identify as an undocumented Asian and/or Pacific Islander. Undocumented individuals are individuals who currently reside in the United States without legal status and include individuals who have been granted Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. Strong preference for applicants who are ineligible for DACA. The Fellowship position will require a 10-15 hour commitment per week and a willingness to travel within all 5 boroughs of NYC.
The ideal candidate is someone who is committed to improving the lives of Asian and Pacific Islander migrants in the United States, is unafraid to ask the difficult questions, and is willing to challenge their own perceptions and prejudices. The Fellow should be a self-starter who also enjoys working as part of a bigger group, can think on their feet, and keep calm under situations.
The Changemaker Fellow will work closely with the RAISE organizational core to develop a robust curriculum for RAISE workshops and will organize various summer events to engage current and prospective members.
- Participate in bi-weekly RAISE meetings
- Participate in a summer training program (to be determined)
- Organize and coordinate summer events to engage current and prospective members
- Identify and participate in community, outreach, and networking events
- Assist core members in developing curriculum for RAISE workshops
- Strong organizational skills;
- Strong working knowledge of issues affecting low-income immigrant, LGBTQ, youth and communities of color and relevant experience working with youth, pan-Asian immigrant and undocumented communities, and/or other marginalized communities;
- Ability to handle multiple projects at the same time;
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends;
- Willingness to travel to all 5 boroughs of NYC;
- Approachable personality and great listening skills;
- Ability to work well with different personalities and work styles;
- Strong interpersonal, written, and public speaking skills;
- Working knowledge of social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram);
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook;
- Multilingual (English + Asian) skills preferred, but not required
Send us an email at RAISE@AALDEF.ORG with the subject line “I have a question!”
Please send a cover letter and your resume to RAISE@AALDEF.ORG with the subject line “I want to be a Changemaker!” by May 15, 2015, midnight EST.
The 2015 Changemaker Fellowship is made possible through the generous collaboration between Sahra Vang Nguyen, writer and creative producer based in New York City, and AALDEF (Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund).