AALDEF #StopAsianHate Project
The Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF) is a national organization founded in 1974 to protect and promote the civil rights of Asian Americans. Over the last 47 years, we have focused on economic justice, immigrant rights, housing and environmental justice, educational equity, and voting rights and democracy. However, one issue that has come up repeatedly throughout our history has been hate violence. For example:
- In 1975, we represented Chinese Americans arrested in protests against police brutality in Manhattan’s Chinatown and organized a rally to support innocent bystander Peter Yew, who was beaten by police after complaining about their mishandling of a minor traffic stop.
- In 1982, we were part of the national campaign to secure justice for Vincent Chin, the Chinese American who was beaten to death in Detroit by two unemployed white auto workers.
- In 1987, we represented Dr. Kaushal Sharan, one of several South Asians attacked in Jersey City by a hate group called the “Dotbusters,” and then advocated for passage of New Jersey’s hate crimes law;
- In 2001, we represented South Asians, Sikhs, and Muslims who were targets of post-9/11 hate violence, racial harassment, and religious profiling.
In 2020-21, we have provided assistance to Asian Americans of all ethnic and immigrant backgrounds, who have been blamed for Covid-19 and targeted for hate violence, harassment, and discrimination. We have spoken at several events and conferences about the rise in anti-Asian violence and its historical roots, and we have advocated for stronger hate crimes laws. As always, our approach addresses both individuals facing hate violence and the root causes of anti-Asian racism:
- We provide legal advice and direct assistance to victims of anti-Asian violence and harassment;
- We mobilize a network of pro bono attorneys and interpreters to assist victims; and
- We collaborate with community groups to respond to future incidents of hate violence, call for police accountability, and create a safe environment for all.
AALDEF provides community education and training, helps individual victims secure justice, urges people to report hate crimes, and works for reforms so that all of us can someday live in a world without hate, violence or discrimination. Join AALDEF in this ongoing fight for justice for all.
For more info, email: StopAsianHate@aaldef.org.
Anti Hate Crime Resources Fact Sheet (English - Print)
Anti Hate Crime Resources Fact Sheet (English - Digital)
Anti Hate Crime Resources Fact Sheet (Chinese - Print)
Anti Hate Crime Resources Fact Sheet (Chinese - Digital)